Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Tax Collector & Us

I have recently picked up an old study that I did on the book of Mark years ago. I love the book of Mark, I got as far 2: 13 - 17 today; The Calling of Levi. Levi is a tax collector and Jesus simply said "follow me" Levi wisely chose to follow and it changed his life forever! Levi is also the apostle Matthew.



This is such a meaningful passage to me right now because I keep hearing comments about how wonderful we are. Honestly don't feel wonderful at all. I know people are saying it kindly but we are nothing special; we are tax collectors whom Jesus called and chose to follow. We have not done anything grand, nothing extordary. We are failing the calling god has put before us in so many ways. We are simply living out the grace that God has bestowed upon us. It is not easy, it is not always fun, it is work just like anything else worth doing well! But there are certainly great rewards. The smiles of our children, the life lessons of compassion, grace, patience, and sacrifice. Comparing the first pictures of the kids we got to the pictures we take now. That is priceless....truely, honestly, and humblingly priceless.

No comments: