Friday, December 14, 2007

Watching the Hand of God

Once again I stand in amazement watching the hand of God in action!

Elissa and I have been working with and praying for Foothills Forever Family's. They are the Orphan ministry at Foothills Church here in Arvada. They have teamed up with Jefferson County Social Services and have a professional photographer take pictures of all the children in the foster care system who are available for adoption in our county. The Program is called Portraits of Hope and they post the pictures in different churches in the county and "advertise" for the kids; trying to help find them forever family's. In the last year they have helped place 20 foster care children in permanent home.

Recently they sent out an email pleading for help with Christmas presents for the foster care kids. Elissa responded and volunteered. We were sent the bio's from a brother and sister named Justin an Tiffany. The bio's from the kids read as follows:

Tiffany (10)- I was born in August 1997. I enjoy playing with baby dolls, Candy Land and memory games. I like to get my hair done and I like to wear purple and pink clothes. My favorite movie is The Incredibles. I want a mom and dad who will love me and my brother Justin. I hope I can be the youngest kid !

Justin (11)- My birthday was in June of 1996. I love Spiderman! I want to be a superhero like Spiderman some day. I also like to play with cars. My sister, Tiffany, and I like to play candy Land and memory games. I really like to play games on the computer. For my forever family, I want a mom and dad and my sister, Tiffany, too!

Elissa forwarded the information to our newly formed adoption group (Hearts of Grace Orphan Ministry) to encourage and remind them of the mission God has placed before us. Attached was the link to a video from Stephen Curtis Chapman called All I want for Christmas and a few links to additional orphan ministries.

Elissa received a call from Becky who has shown interest in the new group and is on our email list. Becky was a little freaked out with the email she received. As the hand of God would arrange things Becky got on the Jefferson County Foster Care web site about two months ago. She had two kids stand out to her and God had been consistently reminding her to pray for. The kids were Justin and Tiffany!

We are so encouraged to hear how God is moving in the hearts of the members at Grace Church and bringing us to a common focus. You can get on www.adoptuskids.org and find kids in your state foster care system to pray for too! Another idea is to start a group like Portraits of Hope, maybe you or some one you know are gifted in the area of photography. Get together with your county foster care system and see how they would feel about nice photos with small biography's of the children on the photos. Portraits of Hope ask around and got the frames, easels, and photos donated:) An issue to hammer out early is what kind of churches you feel comfortable placing the pictures in. Make sure this is discussed early on so that it doesn't become an issue later!

No comments: